Our estuary supports and sustains life on land and sea through a caring community.
The Taiharuru COastal Care Group (TCCG) was established 2003 by a group of local residents.The group operates very informally, and involves around 30-40 interested people and 10-15 active members.
Since it’s inception the group has received support from NZ Landcare Trust, Northland Regional Council, Whangarei District Council, World Wildlife Fund, Auckland University masters students, Parua Bay School. TCCG is also part of the Whangarei Heads Landcare Forum.
Key objectives and actions for the group include:
- Understanding the catchment – processes, components, natural, social, scientific baseline study, field trips, encouraging monitoring
- Sharing information – field trips, circulating material, newsletters, involving kids
- Physical involvement – through helping with fencing, running a plant production nursery, planting, weed control and minor pest control
- Enjoying the social aspects of working together
Over the past 10 years TCCG in conjunction with the wider community and volunteers have completed a wide range of projects:
- Project One explaination to go here – link to project post page
- Project Two explaination to go here – link to project post page
- Project Three explaination to go here – link to project post page
We’re always on the look out for new people and fresh ideas. If you’re interested please feel free to contact us